What you need to know about your roller furler


Give or treat yourself to a subscription to the print + digital Journal of Sailing and for only 69 euros a year you get the magazine at home plus read it on your PC, smartphone and tablet. With a sea of advantages.

A Guide to Reel-to-Roll - SVB Marine
A Guide to Reel-to-Roll – SVB Marine

The jib reel, also known as a furler, is among the indispensable equipment for sailboats. In the shop of
SVB Marine
you can find new ones to buy, but also replacement parts to refurbish the furling reel you already have that may have broken some parts. Here is how it works, what it is used for, and how best to maintain it.

How does the roller furler work?

The foresail reel-roller or furler is composed of a rotating drum, an aluminum hollow profile, and a furling line. It allows the jib (or genoa) to be furled and unfurled around the forestay quickly and easily, without the need to furl or hoist the sail manually. The drum is attached to the base of the forestay, while the hollow profile wraps the forestay along its entire length. The furling line is connected to the jib sheet and is used to furl or unfurl the sail on the drum.

On SVB Marine, in addition to a wide selection of furling reels and accessories from prestigious brands, such as Furlex, Nemo and Pfeiffer, you will find the completeguide to furling with tips for choosing the right one to install in your boat.

Buy replacement parts with one click

If you own a Seldén’s Furlex line of furling reels on your sailboat, you may want to take a look at the very useful quick search tool offered by SVB Marine. This is a system to search for replacement parts for the rollover simply by selecting your model. An exploded view of the rollover will open with all its parts, and you can simply search for and select the replacement part you need to add it to your shopping cart.

Protect the furling from the elements

Diekow-Segel Jib Cover - SVB Marine
Diekow-Segel Jib Cover – SVB Marine

To protect the systems you have installed on your sailboat, such as furling and boom, from the elements, and to keep them in top condition when not in use, it is important to use the right covers.

The furling jib cover, also called a jib bag, covers the furled jib on the jib roll, protecting it from sun, rain, snow, dirt and dust. It is an accessory generally made from waterproof and UV-resistant fabrics, which help prevent fading, mildew and wear and tear of the jib, prolonging its useful life.

SVB Marine recently acquired the historic manufacturer of high-quality sailboat accessories, specializing in tarpaulins, covers and guards, Diekow-Segel. Find Diekow-Segel brand furling jib and boom covers exclusively in the SVB Marine store.

*Editorial in collaboration with SVB Marine



Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Check out the latest issue

Are you already a subscriber?

Ultimi annunci
Our social

Sign up for our Newsletter

We give you a gift

Sailing, its stories, all boats, accessories. Sign up now for our free newsletter and receive the best news selected by the Sailing Newspaper editorial staff each week. Plus we give you one month of GdV digitally on PC, Tablet, Smartphone. Enter your email below, agree to the Privacy Policy and click the “sign me up” button. You will receive a code to activate your month of GdV for free!

Once you click on the button below check your mailbox



You may also be interested in.


Sign in