Italian sailing’s most prestigious award turns the quarter-century mark this year. These first 25 years will be celebrated with a big party and by setting up a Hall of Fame with the history of the winners of the most prestigious award in Italian sailing through a special exhibition. This prize has been awarded since 1991 to the best Italian sailor elected by a web poll involving thousands of fans in the first phase and is decreed by a quality jury from a shortlist of five final candidates. Over the years it has been won by the likes of Paul Cayard, Alessandra Sensini, Giovanni Soldini, Francesco De Angelis, Vasco Vascotto and Vincenzo Onorato, Matteo Miceli, Alessandro Di Benedetto, Max Sirena, and Andrea Mura.
The voting phase of The Sailor of the Year culminates in the big Champions Day, which opens at 7 p.m. on May 5, 2017. Here all the Champions the finalists will gather in a big party for the awards ceremony. In the splendid Events area of the VELAFestival, you can therefore meet, see and talk with the greatest Champions of Sailing. You are all invited; the evening is open to all of you. We are waiting for you!
On the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the Sailor of the Year , a Hall of Fame will be set up with the history of the winners of the most prestigious award in Italian sailing through a special exhibition. One more opportunity not to be missed!
But how does one come to award the most prestigious prize in Italian sailing? With a long and hard selection process online since January 2017 where your input is crucial. We explain it in detail, step by step.
- FIRST STAGE (WINNING VOTE) – FROM 100 to 52 CANDIDATES.
– 100 candidates to vote online on our website from Jan. 29 to Feb. 16
– 20 candidates nominated by you (you can send us names and motivation from Jan. 29 to Feb. 4) voted online from Feb. 5 to Feb. 16
– The 50 highest-rated and 2 highest-rated among those indicated by you pass the round
- SECOND STAGE (WINNING VOTE) – 52 to 25 CANDIDATES
– 52 candidates to vote online from March 4 to 15
– The 25 highest vote-getters pass the round
- THIRD STAGE (CONSULTATIVE VOTING) – FROM 25 TO 5 CANDIDATES
– 25 candidates to be voted for online from March 31 to April 14. The online public vote has advisory value: taking into account your preferences, a jury selects the 5 who pass the round
- FOURTH STAGE – THE CHOICE OF THE SAILOR OF THE YEAR (AND OTHER AWARDS)
– The 5 nominees make up the shortlist of “papabili” for the Sailor of the Year. These will compete, based on the jury’s decisions, for the Sailor of the Year award and other special prizes
In addition to the prestigious award to the Sailor of the Year, five special awards are presented during Champions Day:
- the TAG Heuer Sailor of the Year Passion to the sailor who will have distinguished himself for his passion toward sailing and the sea;
- the TAG Heuer Sailor of the Year Performance to those who will have demonstrated competitive verve by winning high-level regattas;
- the TAG Heuer Sailor of the Year Innovation to the sailor, but also designer, owner, technician who will have come up with something innovative in the field of design or equipment;
- the TAG Heuer Young Sailor of the Year to athletes under 20;
- the Grand Prix VELAFestival the lifetime achievement award.
View the Roll of Sailors of the Year from 1991 to the present by CLICKING HERE.