Voting for the 2016 Sailor of the Year continues unabated (you have until Feb. 16 to cast your preference): we are at almost 10,000 votes received, such a success we didn’t expect either! Let’s see how it’s going.
IF YOU HAVE NOT YET VOTED, YOU CAN DO SO BY CLICKING HERE
THE TOP TEN
Currently, the ranking has Roberto Tomasini Grinover from Trieste, who already won last year’s Sailor of the Year, in the lead, followed closely by Edoardo Ferraro and Francesco Orlando, young 420 class specialists who won the Under-17 World Championship in Japan. In third place was Ambrogio Beccaria Balduzzi, an Italian champion minist who has shown some popularity on social media by racking up votes. In fourth place were Alessandro Cesarini and Diana Rogge, SL16 catamaran specialists while in fifth place came Duccio Colombi, key man in the successes of the Italy 9,998 Low Noise II. Right behind are Matteo Pilati and Francesco Rubagotti, winners of the Red Bull Foiling Generation Italia in Malcesine, and Gianin VI, the 1976 Hallberg-Rassy 41 winner of the Giraglia (for the second time). Demi Rio and Maria Coluzzi, also 420 class specialists, are in eighth place ahead of Matteo Polli, the designer who has garnered so much success in ORC and Federica Cattarozzi, fresh off a wonderful season on the Laser 4.7. So many young people!
As for the parallel survey of candidates presented by you, for now there seems to be no history: Salvatore Mantaci, the Sicilian engineer who quit his job to venture on an Atlantic crossing on a 1978 34-footer, garnered nearly 70 percent of the vote, followed by Ciccio Supparo, the owner of the aforementioned Gianin VI
HOW THE 2016 SAILOR OF THE YEAR VOTING WORKS
On Friday, May 6, at 7 p.m., the Sailor of the Year award ceremony will take place at the VELAFestival in Santa Margherita Ligure (Genoa) during the Evening of Champions. But how does one come to award the most prestigious prize in Italian sailing? With a long and “hard” online selection process where your input is crucial. We explain it in detail, step by step.
– FIRST STAGE (WINNING VOTE – IN PROGRESS) – FROM 100 to 52 CANDIDATES.
– 100 CANDIDATES to vote online on our website from Jan. 29 to Feb. 16
– 20 CANDIDATES INDICATED BY YOU (you can send us names and motivation from Jan. 29 to Feb. 4 to email firstname.lastname@example.org) voted online on our website from Feb. 5 to Feb. 16
– The 50 most voted and the 2 most voted among those indicated by you pass the round
– SECOND STAGE (WINNING VOTE) – 52 to 25 CANDIDATES.
– 52 CANDIDATES to vote online from March 4 to 15
– The 25 highest vote-getters pass the round
– THIRD STAGE (CONSULTATIVE VOTE) – 25 to 5 CANDIDATES.
– 25 CANDIDATES to vote online from March 31 to April 15. The online public vote has advisory value: taking into account your preferences, a jury selects the 5 who pass the round
– FOURTH PHASE – CHOOSING THE SAILOR OF THE YEAR (AND OTHER AWARDS)
-THE 5 CANDIDATES make up the shortlist of “papabili” for Sailor of the Year. These will compete, based on the jury’s decisions, for the Sailor of the Year award and the others: TAG Heuer Sailor of the Year “Passion,” TAG Heuer Sailor of the Year “Innovation,” and TAG Heuer Sailor of the Year “Performance.” Each of the winners will be awarded a TAG Heuer Aquaracer Calibre 5 high-precision waterproof chronograph (pictured opposite), capable of withstanding depths of up to 300 meters.
For any information regarding the Sailor of the Year, please write to us at email@example.com