Stop voting, the semi-final of the Sailor of the Year (involving 25 candidates, after the two selection phases (100 to 50, 50 to 25, at the bottom of the article the rules) ended with a total of no less than 18,341 votes. Thank you all, Now the ball is in the Jury’s court, which, taking into account your preferences as well as the results obtained by the names in contention, will choose the shortlist of five candidates for the most prestigious award in Italian sailing (And to all the other awards: TAG Heuer Performance, Innovation, Young and #don’tcrackunderpressure).
Who will be the Sailor of the Year among these finalists you will only find out as part of the Evening of Champions, scheduled for Friday, May 5, starting at 7 p.m. at the TAG Heuer VELAFestival, with an exceptional poresenter, sports journalist Mino Taveri, and many guests (above all, Vincenzo Onorato, VELAFestival Grand Prize for Lifetime Achievement).
This semifinal was under the banner of a real heart-pounding “match-race” between ocean sailor Gaetano Mura and the very popular kiter Tony Cili, which was resolved in favor of the latter. Here are the rankings below.
1. TONY CILI
2. GAETANO MURA
3. CLAUDIA ROSSI.
4. GIUSEPPE FORNICH / SAGOLA BIOTRADING (GS 37)
5. WHITE FISHBONE (CAROL KETCH 36) / ASS. WHITE LISK
6. FRANCESCO MONGELLI
7. MATTIA CESANA
8. PIETRO GROSSI
9. GIUSEPPE PAOLILLO
10. FRANCO SALMOIRAGHI / GALE AIR (X-332)
11. LEONARDO SERVI / SCRICCA (COMET 38S)
12. AMBROSE BECCARIA BALDUZZI
13. PAOLO BUA / PAOLO BUA TRUC DESIGN
14. ALEXANDRIA SAILING TEAM / SPIRIT OF NERINA (X-35)
15. ANDREA AND CHICCA PESTARINI
16. FRANCESCO GUGLIELMO BALZANO
17. ANGELO GLISONI
18. FEDERICO DE LISI / BLUETANGOS TWO (GS 50)
19. SPECIAL GIORGIA
20. GAIA BERGONZINI
21. ALEXANDER GRACIOTTI
22. VITTORIO AND NICO MALINGRI
23. ALESSANDRO BURZI / RED GLOBULE (ESTE 31)
24. PIERLUIGI LORO PIANA / MY SONG (RP 84, BALTIC 130)
25. ENRICO TETTAMANTI
DISCOVER ALL THEIR STORIES
FIND OUT HOW THE VOTE WENT
HOW THE SAILOR OF THE YEAR WORKS
(CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE)
Each of the winners will be awarded a TAG Heuer Aquaracer Calibre 5 high-precision waterproof chronograph (pictured opposite), capable of withstanding depths of up to 300 meters.
For any information regarding the Sailor of the Year, please write to us at email@example.com