The America’s Cup slips by four days, there will have to be patience then for the start of the challenge between Luna Rossa and Emirates Team New Zealand. In fact, America’s Cup Events has announced that racing will begin on March 10, so that the alert can be lifted and the public can watch the races on land and at sea. Neither team commented on the decision.
This is the statement from ACE, the organizers of the America’s Cup:
In light of the latest Level 3 lockdown in Auckland due to COVID-19 cases put in place by the government, America’s Cup Event Ltd has postponed the first weekend of racing on Saturday, March 6 and Sunday, March 7.
The purpose of this early decision is to at least provide certainty in planning for all parties involved in the event regarding the upcoming weekend.
America’s Cup Event Ltd President Tina Symmans said, “ACE has always said it wants to keep as much of the racing under Level 1 restrictions as possible. But to be prudent, ACE will ask for an exemption to race under Level 3 restrictions in order to keep as many options open as possible. However, racing will not start until Wednesday, March 10.”
Meanwhile, ACE will continue to work closely with the relevant authorities in the coming days as this latest COVID emergency unfolds.
“We need to understand all the likely scenarios so that an updated regatta schedule can be put in place while ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements,” Symmans concluded.
WHAT A BET TONIGHT AT THE CUP NEWSPAPER!
There is a wait in short. But we are going to do it our way and so we give you an appointment tonight at 9:30 p.m., live on Facebook, YouTube and the events area of Milano Yachting Week, for a special episode of Il Giornale della Coppa, where we will have as a guest the helmsman of Luna Rossa Francesco Bruni and the two other great helmsmen who made Italy dream: Paul Cayard, at the helm of Moro in 1992, and Francesco De Angelis, helmsman of Luna Rossa that won the Cup final in 2000.