The Sailor of the Year, the most prestigious award in Italian sailing this year turns the quarter-century mark(find the roll of honor here and what we will do to celebrate), and becomes even more “popular.” How is this possible?
YOU CHOOSE THE CANDIDATES!!!
Simple, you will be the ones to point us to the candidates, right from the start! Starting today, you will have until December 15 to report to us by emailing us at. firstname.lastname@example.org, who do you think deserves to be included in the “shortlist” of 100 nominees for the 2017 Sailor of the Year, complete with your reasons. Cross-referencing your submissions with those of the editorial staff will come up with all the names from which you can then vote for your favorite on our website.
WHO YOU CAN NOMINATE
Your choice should fall on Italian sailors, whether they are athletes (derivists and specialists in Olympic classes), boat owners and sailors (i.e., ocean sailors or those who have otherwise shown off their skills in “long sailing”) Who distinguished themselves in 2016. But not only that. Every owner knows that the boat has a soul: so you will be able to nominate winning offshore and classic boats. The voting operation of the 2017 Sailor of the Year is summarized below.
HOW THE 2017 SAILOR OF THE YEAR WORKS
Friday, May 5, at 7 p.m., will take place at the VELAFestival in Santa Margherita Ligure (Genoa), during the Evening of Champions, the awarding of the 2017 Sailor of the Year. But how does one come to award the most prestigious prize in Italian sailing? With a long and “hard” online selection process where your input is crucial. We explain it in detail, step by step.
– FIRST STAGE (CHOICE OF CANDIDATES)
– Submission of readers’ candidates, from 5 p.m. Nov. 28 to noon Dec. 15, 2016 with an email to email@example.com. Your proposals, cross-referenced with those of the editorial staff of the Sailing Newspaper, will go to make up the list of 100 candidates
– SECOND STAGE (WINNING VOTE) – FROM 100 TO 50 CANDIDATES.
– 100 CANDIDATES to vote online on our website from 1 p.m. Jan. 30 to noon Feb. 15, 2017
– The top 50 vote-getters pass the round
– THIRD STAGE (WINNING VOTE) – 50 to 25 CANDIDATES.
– 50 CANDIDATES to vote online from 1 p.m. March 3 to noon March 15, 2017
– The 25 highest vote-getters pass the round
– FOURTH STAGE (CONSULTATIVE VOTE) – 25 to 5 CANDIDATES.
– 25 CANDIDATES to vote online from 1 p.m. March 31 to noon April 14, 2017. The online public vote has advisory value: taking into account your preferences, a jury selects the 5 who pass the round
– FIFTH PHASE – CHOOSING THE SAILOR OF THE YEAR (AND OTHER AWARDS)
-The 5 CANDIDATES make up the shortlist of “papayees” for the 2017 Sailor of the Year. These will compete, based on jury decisions, for the Sailor of the Year award and the others: TAG Heuer “#dontcrackunderpressure,” TAG Heuer “Innovation,” TAG Heuer “Performance,” and TAG Heuer Young. The winner will be revealed during the Evening of Champions, starting at 7 p.m. on Friday, May 5, 2017 at the TAG Heuer VELAFestival in Santa Margherita Ligure (Genoa).